Meaning of deny
Pronunciation: (di-nī'), [key]
— -nied, -ny•ing.
- to state that (something declared or believed to be true) is not true: to deny an accusation.
- to refuse to agree or accede to: to deny a petition.
- to withhold the possession, use, or enjoyment of: to deny access to secret information.
- to withhold something from, or refuse to grant a request of: to deny a beggar.
- to refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disown; disavow; repudiate: to deny one's gods.
- to withhold (someone) from accessibility to a visitor: The secretary denied his employer to all those without appointments.
- to refuse to take or accept.
- to refrain from satisfying one's desires or needs; practice self-denial.
- deny (Thesaurus)