density: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (den'si-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- the state or quality of being dense; compactness; closely set or crowded condition.
- stupidity; slow-wittedness; obtuseness.
- the number of inhabitants, dwellings, or the like, per unit area: The commissioner noted that the population density of certain city blocks had fallen dramatically.
- mass per unit volume.
- the quantity of electricity per unit of volume at a point in space, or the quantity per unit of area at a point on a surface.
- Seecurrent density.
- the degree of opacity of a substance, medium, etc., that transmits light.
- the relative degree of opacity of an area of a negative or transparency, often expressed logarithmically.
- a measure of the compactness of data stored on an external storage medium, as disk or tape, or displayed on a CRT or other screen.
- density (Thesaurus)