delegate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.del'i-git, -gāt"v.del'i-gāt"), [key]
— n., v., -gat•ed, -gat•ing.
- a person designated to act for or represent another or others; deputy; representative, as in a political convention.
- (formerly) the representative of a Territory in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- a member of the lower house of the state legislature of Maryland, Virginia, or West Virginia.
- to send or appoint (a person) as deputy or representative.
- to commit (powers, functions, etc.) to another as agent or deputy.
- delegate (Thesaurus)