cyst: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sist), [key]
- a closed, bladderlike sac formed in animal tissues, containing fluid or semifluid matter.
- a bladder, sac, or vesicle.
- a sporelike cell with a resistant, protective wall.
- a cell or cavity enclosing reproductive bodies.
- a sac, usually spherical, surrounding an animal that has passed into a dormant condition.
- such a sac plus the contained animal.
- a capsule or resistant covering.
- var. ofbefore a vowel: cystectomy.
- var. ofas final element in a compound word: statocyst.
- cyst (Thesaurus)