cynic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sin'ik), [key]
- a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.
- (cap.) one of a sect of Greek philosophers, 4th century b.c., who advocated the doctrines that virtue is the only good, that the essence of virtue is self-control, and that surrender to any external influence is beneath human dignity.
- a person who shows or expresses a bitterly or sneeringly cynical attitude.
- (cap.) of or pertaining to the Cynics or their doctrines.
- resembling the actions of a snarling dog.
- cynic (Thesaurus)