Meaning of convention
Pronunciation: (kun-ven'shun), [key]
- a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern.
- a representative party assembly to nominate candidates and adopt platforms and party rules.
- an agreement, compact, or contract.
- an international agreement, esp. one dealing with a specific matter, as postal service or copyright.
- a rule, method, or practice established by usage; custom: the convention of showing north at the top of a map.
- general agreement or consent; accepted usage, esp. as a standard of procedure.
- any of a variety of established systems or methods of bidding or playing that allows partners to convey certain information about their hands.
- convention (Thesaurus)