Meaning of constituent
Pronunciation: (kun-stich'-unt), [key]
- serving to compose or make up a thing; component: the constituent parts of a motor.
- having power to frame or alter a political constitution or fundamental law, as distinguished from lawmaking power: a constituent assembly.
- a constituent element, material, etc.; component.
- a person who authorizes another to act in his or her behalf, as a voter in a district represented by an elected official.
- an element considered as part of a construction. Cf. immediate constituent, ultimate constituent.
- constituent (Thesaurus)