compliment: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.kom'plu-muntv.kom'plu-ment&sec), [key]
- an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration: A sincere compliment boosts one's morale.
- a formal act or expression of civility, respect, or regard: The mayor paid him the compliment of escorting him.
- a courteous greeting; good wishes; regards: He sends you his compliments.
- a gift; present.
- to pay a compliment to: She complimented the child on his good behavior.
- to show kindness or regard for by a gift or other favor: He complimented us by giving a party in our honor.
- to congratulate; felicitate: to compliment a prince on the birth of a son.
- to pay compliments.
- compliment (Thesaurus)