commission: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ku-mish'un), [key]
- the act of committing or giving in charge.
- an authoritative order, charge, or direction.
- authority granted for a particular action or function.
- a document granting such authority.
- a document conferring authority issued by the president of the U.S. to officers in the Army, Navy, and other military services, and by state governments to justices of the peace and others.
- the power thus granted.
- the position or rank of an officer in any of the armed forces.
- a group of persons authoritatively charged with particular functions: a parks commission.
- the condition of being placed under special authoritative responsibility or charge.
- a task or matter committed to one's charge; official assignment: The architect received a commission to design an office building.
- the act of committing or perpetrating a crime, error, etc.: The commission of a misdemeanor is punishable by law.
- something that is committed.
- authority to act as agent for another or others in commercial transactions.
- a sum or percentage allowed to agents, sales representatives, etc., for their services: to work on a 20 percent commission.
- A great deal of work will be necessary to put this car in commission again.
- in service.
- in operating order:A great deal of work will be necessary to put this car in commission again.
- Also,into commission.Navy.(of a ship) manned and in condition for or ordered to active service.
- paid entirely or partially with commissions from sales one has made or for work one has done: The salespeople who are on commission earn 6 percent of the total amount they sell.
- The stove is out of commission.
- not in service.
- not in operating order:The stove is out of commission.
- to give a commission to: to commission a graduate of a military academy.
- to authorize; send on a mission.
- to give the order that places a warship, military command, etc., in a state of complete readiness for active duty.
- to give a commission or order for: The owners commissioned a painting for the building's lobby.
- commission (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.