cockpit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kok'pit"), [key]
- a space, usually enclosed, in the forward fuselage of an airplane containing the flying controls, instrument panel, and seats for the pilot and copilot or flight crew.
- a sunken, open area, generally in the after part of a small vessel, as a yacht, providing space for the pilot, part or all of the crew, or guests.
- the space, including the seat and instrumentation, surrounding the driver of an automobile.
- a pit or enclosed place for cockfights.
- a place where a contest is fought or which has been the scene of many contests or battles.
- (formerly) a space below the water line in a warship, occupied by the quarters of the junior officers and used as a dressing station for those wounded in action.
- cockpit (Thesaurus)