coat: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kōt), [key]
- an outer garment with sleeves, covering at least the upper part of the body: a new fur coat; a coat for formal wear.
- a natural integument or covering, as the hair, fur, or wool of an animal, the bark of a tree, or the skin of a fruit.
- a layer of anything that covers a surface: That wall needs another coat of paint.
- a mucous layer covering or lining an organ or connected parts, as on the tongue.
- a petticoat or skirt.
- a garment indicating profession, class, etc.
- the profession, class, etc., so indicated.
- to cover with a layer or coating: He coated the wall with paint. The furniture was coated with dust.
- to cover thickly, esp. with a viscous fluid or substance: Heat the mixture until it coats a spoon. The boy was coated with mud from head to foot.
- to cover or provide with a coat.
- coat (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.