Meaning of closet
Pronunciation: (kloz'it), [key]
- a small room, enclosed recess, or cabinet for storing clothing, food, utensils, etc.
- a small private room, esp. one used for prayer, meditation, etc.
- a state or condition of secrecy or carefully guarded privacy: Some conservatives remain in the closet except on election day. Gay liberation has encouraged many gay people to come out of the closet.
- private; secluded.
- suited for use or enjoyment in privacy: closet reflections; closet prayer.
- engaged in private study or speculation; speculative; unpractical: a closet thinker with no practical experience.
- being or functioning as such in private; secret: a closet anarchist.
- to shut up in a private room for a conference, interview, etc. (usually used in the passive voice): The Secretary of State was closeted with the senator for three hours in a tense session.
- closet (Thesaurus)