civil: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (siv'ul), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or consisting of citizens: civil life; civil society.
- of the commonwealth or state: civil affairs.
- of citizens in their ordinary capacity, or of the ordinary life and affairs of citizens, as distinguished from military and ecclesiastical life and affairs.
- of the citizen as an individual: civil liberty.
- befitting a citizen: a civil duty.
- of, or in a condition of, social order or organized government; civilized: civil peoples.
- adhering to the norms of polite social intercourse; not deficient in common courtesy: After their disagreement, their relations were civil though not cordial.
- marked by benevolence: He was a very civil sort, and we liked him immediately.
- (of divisions of time) legally recognized in the ordinary affairs of life: the civil year.
- of or pertaining to civil law.
- civil (Thesaurus)