Meaning of Chautauqua
Pronunciation: (shu-tô'kwu, chu-), [key]
- a lake in SW New York. 18 mi. (29 km) long.
- a village on this lake: summer educational center.
- an annual educational meeting, originating in this village in 1874, providing public lectures, concerts, and dramatic performances during the summer months, usually in an outdoor setting.
- (usually l.c.) any similar assembly, esp. one of a number meeting in a circuit of communities.
- of or pertaining to a system of education flourishing in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, originating at Lake Chautauqua, New York.
- (usually l.c.) pertaining to a chautauqua: a chautauqua program.