Meaning of cavalier
Pronunciation: (kav"u-lēr', kav'u-lēr"), [key]
- a horseman, esp. a mounted soldier; knight.
- one having the spirit or bearing of a knight; a courtly gentleman; gallant.
- a man escorting a woman or acting as her partner in dancing.
- (cap.) an adherent of Charles I of England in his contest with Parliament.
- haughty, disdainful, or supercilious: an arrogant and cavalier attitude toward others.
- offhand or unceremonious: The very dignified officials were confused by his cavalier manner.
- (cap.) of or pertaining to the Cavaliers.
- (cap.) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the Cavalier poets or their work.
- to play the cavalier.
- to be haughty or domineering.
- cavalier (Thesaurus)