Meaning of canteen
Pronunciation: (kan-tēn'), [key]
- a small container used esp. by soldiers and hikers for carrying water or other liquids.
- a general store and cafeteria at a military base.
- a place where free entertainment is provided for military personnel.
- a place, as in a factory, school, or summer camp, where refreshments and sometimes personal supplies are sold.
- a recreation center or social club, esp. for teenagers.
- a place set up to dispense food during an emergency.
- a snack bar.
- a box or chest for cutlery and other table utensils.
- canteen (Thesaurus)