Pronunciation: (brz), [key]
— v., n. bruised, bruis•ing,
- to injure by striking or pressing, without breaking the skin: The blow bruised his arm. Her pinching bruised the peaches.
- to injure or hurt slightly, as with an insult or unkind remark: to bruise a person's feelings.
- to crush (drugs or food) by beating or pounding.
- to injure the surface of (an ingot or finished object) by collision.
- to develop or bear a discolored spot on the skin as the result of a blow, fall, etc.
- to become injured slightly: His feelings bruise easily.
- an injury due to bruising; contusion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.