Meaning of blasphemy
Pronunciation: (blas'fu-mē), [key]
— pl. -mies.
- impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
- an act of cursing or reviling God.
- pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (yhvh) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.
- the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
- irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.
- blasphemy (Thesaurus)