birth: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bûrth), [key]
- an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
- the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring; childbirth; parturition: a difficult birth.
- lineage; extraction; descent: of Grecian birth.
- high or noble lineage: to be foolishly vain about one's birth.
- natural heritage: a musician by birth.
- any coming into existence; origin; beginning: the birth of Protestantism; the birth of an idea.
- something that is born.
- Her hobby gave birth to a successful business.
- to bear (a child).
- to initiate; originate:Her hobby gave birth to a successful business.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.