bevel: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bev'ul), [key]
— n., v., adj. -eled, -el•ing -elled, -el•ling,
- the inclination that one line or surface makes with another when not at right angles.
- a surface that does not form a right angle with adjacent surfaces. Cf.
- (of a lock bolt) the oblique end that hits the strike plate.
- (of a lock with a beveled bolt) the side facing in the same direction as the bevel at the end of the bolt. Cf.
- an adjustable instrument for drawing angles or adjusting the surface of work to a particular inclination.
- beard (def. 5).
- to cut or slant at a bevel: to bevel an edge to prevent splintering.
- oblique; sloping; slanted.
- bevel (Thesaurus)