Meaning of below
Pronunciation: (bi-lō'), [key]
- in or toward a lower place: Look out below!
- on, in, or toward a lower level, as a lower deck of a ship: The captain of the ship went below.
- beneath the surface of the water: Divers were sent below to view the wreck.
- on earth: the fate of creatures here below.
- in hell or the infernal regions.
- at a later point on a page or in a text:Cf. above (def. 5). See the illustration below.
- in a lower rank or grade: He was demoted to the class below.
- under zero on the temperature scale: The temperature in Buffalo was ten below this morning.
- downstage. Cf. above (def. 8).
- on the lower or ventral side.
- lower down than: below the knee.
- lower in rank, degree, amount, rate, etc., than: below cost; below freezing.
- too low or undignified to be worthy of; beneath: He considered such an action below his notice.
- downstage of: There are two chairs below the table.
- below (Thesaurus)