basis: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bā'sis), [key]
— pl. -ses
- the bottom or base of anything; the part on which something stands or rests.
- anything upon which something is based; fundamental principle; groundwork.
- the principal constituent; fundamental ingredient.
- a basic fact, amount, standard, etc., used in making computations, reaching conclusions, or the like: The nurse is paid on an hourly basis. He was chosen on the basis of his college grades.
- a set of linearly independent elements of a given vector space having the property that every element of the space can be written as a linear combination of the elements of the set.
- basis (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.