Meaning of backbone
Pronunciation: (bak'bōn"), [key]
- the spinal column; spine.
- strength of character; resolution.
- something resembling a backbone in appearance, position, or function.
- a back or bound edge of a book; spine.
- a rope running along the middle of an awning, as a reinforcement and as an object to which a supporting bridle or crowfoot may be attached.
- the central fore-and-aft assembly of the keel and keelson, giving longitudinal strength to the bottom of a vessel.
- backbone (Thesaurus)