Meaning of augment
Pronunciation: (v.ôg-ment'n.ôg'ment), [key]
- to make larger; enlarge in size, number, strength, or extent; increase: His salary is augmented by a small inheritance.
- In the fugue's development the subject is augmented.
- to raise (the upper note of an interval or chord) by a half step.
- to double the note values of (a theme):In the fugue's development the subject is augmented.
- to add an augment to.
- to grant an augmentation to (a coat of arms).
- to become larger.
- a prefixed vowel or a lengthening of the initial vowel that characterizes certain forms in the nonpresent inflection of verbs in Greek, Sanskrit, Armenian, and Phrygian.
- augment (Thesaurus)