Meaning of audit
Pronunciation: (ô'dit), [key]
- an official examination and verification of accounts and records, esp. of financial accounts.
- a report or statement reflecting an audit; a final statement of account.
- the inspection or examination of a building or other facility to evaluate or improve its appropriateness, safety, efficiency, or the like: An energy audit can suggest ways to reduce home fuel bills.
- a judicial hearing.
- an audience.
- to make an audit of; examine (accounts, records, etc.) for purposes of verification: The accountants audited the company's books at the end of the fiscal year.
- to attend (classes, lectures, etc.) as an auditor.
- to make an audit of (a building or other facility) to evaluate or improve its safety, efficiency, or the like.
- to examine and verify an account or accounts by reference to vouchers.
- audit (Thesaurus)