Meaning of asymmetric
Pronunciation: (ā"su-me'trik, as"u-), [key]
- not identical on both sides of a central line; unsymmetrical; lacking symmetry: Most faces are asymmetric.
- (of a logical or mathematical relation) holding true of members of a class in one order but not in the opposite order, as in the relation “being an ancestor of.”
- having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
- noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
- (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.
- asymmetric (Thesaurus)