aster: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (as'tur), [key]
- any composite plant of the genus Aster, having rays varying from white or pink to blue around a yellow disk.
- a plant of some allied genus, as the China aster.
- a structure formed in a cell during mitosis, composed of astral rays radiating about the centrosome.
- sunflower (def. 2).
- a diminutive or pejorative suffix denoting something that imperfectly resembles or mimics the true thing: criticaster; poetaster, oleaster.
- a combining form with the meaning “star,” used in the formation of compound words: diaster.
- aster (Thesaurus)