ask: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ask, äsk), [key]
- to put a question to; inquire of: I asked him but he didn't answer.
- to request information about: to ask the way.
- to try to get by using words; request: to ask advice; to ask a favor.
- to solicit from; request of: Could I ask you a favor? Ask her for advice.
- to demand; expect: What price are they asking? A little silence is all I ask.
- to set a price of: to ask $20 for the hat.
- to call for; need; require: This experiment asks patience.
- to invite: to ask guests to dinner.
- to publish (banns).
- to make inquiry; inquire: to ask about a person.
- to request or petition (usually fol. by for): to ask for leniency; to ask for food.
- to risk or invite trouble, danger, punishment, etc., by persisting in some action or manner: He was asking for it by his abusive remarks.
Pronunciation: (äsk), [key]
— n. Scand. Myth.
- the first man, made by the gods from an ash tree.
- ask (Thesaurus)