armature: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (är'mu-chur), [key]
- the protective covering of an animal or plant, or any part serving for defense or offense.
- the part of an electric machine that includes the main current-carrying winding and in which the electromotive force is induced.
- the pivoted part of an electric device, as a buzzer or relay, that is activated by a magnetic field.
- the iron or steel applied across the poles of a permanent magnet to close it, or across the poles of an electromagnet to transmit a mechanical force. See illus. underelectromagnet.
- a skeletal framework built as a support on which a clay, wax, or plaster figure is constructed.
- armature (Thesaurus)