amateur: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (am'u-choor", -chur, -tur, am"u-tûr'), [key]
- a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Cf. professional.
- an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
- a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
- a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.
- characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional: an amateur painter; amateur tennis.
- amateur (Thesaurus)