alone: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-l?n'), [key]
- separate, apart, or isolated from others: I want to be alone.
- to the exclusion of all others or all else: One cannot live by bread alone.
- unique; unequaled; unexcelled: He is alone among his peers in devotion to duty.
- Leave him alone--he wants to rest.
- to allow (someone) to be by himself or herself:Leave him alone--he wants to rest.
- to refrain from annoying or interfering with:The youngsters wouldn't leave the dog alone, and he finally turned on them.
- He was too tired to walk, let alone run.
- to refrain from annoying or interfering with.
- not to mention:He was too tired to walk, let alone run.
- to be satisfied with the existing situation; refrain from attempting to change conditions: Marriages are often destroyed by relatives who will not let well enough alone.
- solitarily; solely: She prefers to live alone.
- only; exclusively.
- without aid or help: The baby let go of the side of the crib and stood alone.
- alone (Thesaurus)