advantage: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ad-van'tij, -vän'-), [key]
— n., v., -taged, -taging.
- any state, circumstance, opportunity, or means specially favorable to success, interest, or any desired end: the advantage of a good education.
- benefit; gain; profit: It will be to his advantage to learn Chinese before going to China.
- superiority or ascendancy (often fol. by over or of&hasp;): His height gave him an advantage over his opponent.
- a position of superiority (often fol. by over or of&hasp;): their advantage in experienced players.
- the first point scored after deuce.
- to be in a superior or advantageous position; possess an advantage over: By virtue of independent wealth, he has the advantage of his opponents.
- to take advantage of an opportunity.
- to make use of for gain:to take advantage of an opportunity.
- to impose upon, esp. unfairly, as by exploiting a weakness:to take advantage of someone.
- to good effect; advantageously: The paintings were arranged to advantage on one wall.
- to be of service to; yield profit or gain to; benefit.
- to cause to advance; further; promote: Such action will advantage our cause.
- to prove beneficial to; profit: It would advantage him to work harder.
- advantage (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.