Meaning of abatement
Pronunciation: (u-bāt'munt), [key]
- the act or state of abating or the state of being abated; reduction; decrease; alleviation; mitigation.
- suppression or termination: abatement of a nuisance; noise abatement.
- an amount deducted or subtracted, as from the usual price or the full tax.
- a reduction of a tax assessment.
- the termination of a nuisance.
- a wrongful entry on land made by a stranger, after the owner's death and before the owner's heir or devisee has obtained possession.
- a decrease in the legacies of a will when the assets of an estate are insufficient to pay all general legacies in full.
- Also calleda charge or mark that, when introduced into a coat of arms, indicates the owner's disgrace.
- abatement (Thesaurus)