Capitalize the following:
- Proper nouns and adjectives derived from proper nouns:
| Marie Curie||China, Chinese |
| Smokey Robinson||Darwin, Darwinian|
But vocabulary words derived from proper nouns are generally lowercase:
| china cups||plaster of paris|
| french fries||vienna sausage|
- The names of geographic divisions, regions, and localities and topographical features such as rivers, lakes, and mountains:
| North Pole||Gulf States|
| Middle East||Atlantic Ocean|
| Southern Hemisphere||Rocky Mountains|
| the North||Lake Tahoe|
| Lower East Side||Erie Canal|
Do not capitalize directions: She lives 10 miles north of Boston.
- The names of nationalities, ethnic groups, tribes, and languages:
| Asian American||Creole|
- Titles when preceding a name:
| President Lincoln||Aunt Mary|
| Queen Victoria||Doctor Johnson|
| Senator Kennedy||Professor Davies |
Do not capitalize such terms elsewhere: a biography of the queen; the senator's speech; my aunt, Mary Wilson; the president's fundraising efforts; the residence of the vice president.
- Epithets: Ivan the Terrible; Lincoln is known as the Great Emancipator.
- The names of political and judicial bodies, social organizations, councils, and departments:
| U.S. Senate||Rotary Club|
| Democratic Party||United Negro College Fund|
| State Department||U.S. Supreme Court|
- The names for periods, events, and documents of historical importance:
| Middle Ages||Constitution|
| Renaissance||Treaty of Versailles|
| Battle of Waterloo||Magna Carta|
- The names for streets, buildings, and monuments:
| Fifth Avenue ||World Trade Center|
| Broadway||Statue of Liberty|
- The names for the supreme deity and sacred works:
| God, the Father Almighty||Bible|
- The names for religious denominations and their members:
Methodist Church, Methodists
Society of Friends, Quakers
- The days of the week, months of the year, holidays, and holy days:
| Thursday ||Labor Day|
- The pronoun I:
I told her I didn't want to go.
- The first word in the salutation and complimentary close of a letter:
My dear Carol?
Very truly yours?
- The first word of a sentence:
Are you hungry? Lunch will be served soon.
- The first word of a direct quotation, except when the quotation is split:
I asked, ?Do you really like bats??
?Yes,? said Holly, ?they're so cute.?
- The first word and all the key words in the title of a literary or other artistic work:
The Bluest Eye (novel)
A Streetcar Named Desire (play)
?The Road Not Taken? (poem)
Starry Night (painting)
?Only the Lonely? (song)
- The names of ships, aircraft, and space vehicles:
The Spirit of St. Louis
space shuttle Challenger
- The names of constellations, planets, and stars:
| Milky Way||Saturn|
| the asteroid Juno ||Little Dipper|
- The names of geologic eras, periods, epochs, and names of prehistoric divisions:
| Paleozoic Era ||Pleistocene|
| Quaternary Period||Stone Age|
- The genus but not the species name in binomial nomenclature:
Canis familiaris (dog)
Malus pumila (apple tree)
A Concise Guide to Grammar and Style Italicization