July 2011 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of July 2011.
New Mexico Wildfire Rages (July 1): The Las Conchas wildfire, now the largest in New Mexico's history, continues to burn through the Jemez Mountains near the Los Alamos National Laboratory. Officials remain confident that the fire will not spread to the laboratory, a nuclear research facility. The fire is still only 3% contained and has burned through more than one hundred thousand acres.
The Atlantis Begins Final Mission (July 8): The shuttle Atlantis launches into space for the last time from the Kennedy Space Center. It is the 135th and final flight of the space shuttle program, which started in 1981. For its final mission, the Atlantis is carrying 8,000 lbs of spare parts and supplies to the International Space Station. The space shuttle program officially ends when the Atlantis returns in two weeks.
More on July 2011 from Infoplease:
- Youth Employment Trends - Read about the youth employment trends in 2012.
- Charlene Wittstock - Biography of Charlene Wittstock, The wife of Prince Albert of Monaco
- Prince Albert of Monaco - Biography of Prince Albert of Monaco, The royal leader of Monaco, 2005-present
- Amy Winehouse - Biography of Amy Winehouse, The talented, boozy and short-lived singer of the song "Rehab"
- Casey Anthony - Biography of Casey Anthony, The Orlando "Tot Mom" acquitted of killing her daughter