|Director/Writer:|| James Cameron|
|Director of Photography:||Russell Carpenter|
|Production Designer:||Peter Lamont|
|Producers:||James Cameron, Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini|
|Paramount and Twentieth Century Fox; PG-13; 197 minutes|
|Cast:||Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart, Billy Zane, Kathy Bates, Frances Fisher, Bernard Hill, Victor Garber and Bill Paxton|
It's finally here; the epic of the year. The most expensive film of all time ($250 million, a mere $150 million over budget). The most-talked about film of the year. The most laughed at film of the summer (it's July release was pushed back, way back). Director Cameron will have the last laugh, however, and it will be a hearty guffaw. His Titanic is nothing less than spectacular, with enchanting performances from DiCaprio and Winslet as doomed star-crossed lovers, fabulous cinematography, captivating storytelling and, of course, an awe-inspiring ship (built 90 percent to scale). Cameron obviously didn't skimp, and his meticulous attention to detail helps explain the outrageous price tag. From the carpeting to the woodwork down to the ashtrays, Cameron's precision has transported us back in time to 1912. Cameron uses the love story between first-class formerly rich Rose (Winslet) and third-class bohemian artist Jack (DiCaprio) to distract us from the fact that Titanic is a purely technological film. A 101-year-old woman (Stuart) recounts the ordeal to Brock Lovett (Paxton), a slimy fortune hunter who's leading an expedition to the bottom of the Atlantic in search of lost treasure. Though the advance hoopla recalled 1995's disastrous Waterworld, Titanic rises to the occasion and is well worth the wait and the price.
More on Titanic from Infoplease:
- titanic: meaning and definitions - titanic: Definition and Pronunciation
- Titan - Titan Titan is remarkable because it is the only known moon in the solar system that has a ...
- Titan, in Greek religion and mythology - Titan Titan, in Greek religion and mythology, one of 12 primeval deities. The female Titan is also ...
- Titans - Titans NBC Wednesday 8:00–9:00 p.m.; moved to Monday; canceled Cast: Yasmine Bleeth, Casper ...
- Titanic - Titanic Paramount; $29.99 Feature; PG-13 Director: James Cameron Cast: Kate Winslet, Leonardo ...