The Grass Harp
|Writers:||Stirling Silliphant and Kirk Ellis|
|Director of Photography:||John A. Alonzo|
|Editors:||Sidney Levin and Tim O'Meara|
|Production Designer:||Paul Sylbert|
|Producers:||Charles Matthau, Jerry Tokofsky and John Davis|
|Fine Line; PG; 107 minutes|
|Cast:||Piper Laurie, Walter Matthau, Sissy Spacek, Jack Lemmon, Mary Steenburgen, Edward Furlong, Grayson Fricke, Roddy McDowall, Nell Carter, Charles Durning and Joe Don Baker|
|Based on the novel by Truman Capote|
A rich, sweet, funny tale that works surprisingly well as adapted for the big screen. Capote himself had no luck turning his 1951 novel into a Broadway play. Sent to live with his spinster aunts, Dolly and Verena (Laurie and Spacek), after the death of his parents, Collin Fenwick (Furlong) finds life fairly tranquil in the quiet Southern town. But when his aunt Dolly decides to rebel against the tyrannical Verena, who sees financial opportunity in Dolly's herb elixir, he joins Dolly's rebellion and runs away with her and the family servant, Catherine (Carter). They hide out in a treehouse, where they are joined by Judge Charlie Cool (Walter Matthau), who sympathizes and falls in love with Dolly. The title refers to a grassy field that Dolly believes contains the souls of her ancestors, who whisper their life stories to her. In a poignant moment, Dolly and Judge Cool realize that they too will soon be telling their own stories from the field.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Grass Harp from Infoplease:
- The Grass Harp - Starring Edward Furlong, Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Nell Carter
- Robert Lewis - Robert Lewis Age: 88 acting teacher, director, writer As a founding member of the Group Theater in ...
- Truman Capote - Capote, Truman Capote, Truman , 1924–84, American author, b. New Orleans as Truman Streckfus ...
- Truman Capote - Biography of Truman Capote, Author of In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Top News Stories from 1951 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1951. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring