Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
|Music:||Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
|Libretto:||Lorenzo da Ponte|
|Premiere:||Prague, October 29, 1787|
One of the most praised operas, Don Giovanni combines high drama with comedy to illustrate the escapades and eventual fiery end of the mythical womanizer. As the story opens, Don Giovanni steals away from Donna Anna's house, but she pursues him. The commotion alarms her father, the Commendatore, who duels with and is killed by Don Giovanni. He sets off again with his servant, Leporello, and meets the grieving Donna Elvira, who loves him although he has betrayed her. Making a quick exit, he next encounters a lively bunch of peasants, among them the pretty Zerlina and her clumsy fiancé, Masetto. Wily Don Giovanni spirits Zerlina away, but her enraged scream alerts the suspicious Masetto, and the Don is unmasked as a seducer and murderer. He escapes, only to be confronted later by a statue of the murdered Commendatore, who extends an icy grip to drag an unrepentant Don Giovanni to the depths of hell.
More on Don Giovanni from Infoplease:
- Don Juan - Don Juan Don Juan , legendary profligate. He has a counterpart in the legends of many peoples, but ...
- Don Giovanni: meaning and definitions - Don Giovanni: Definition and Pronunciation
- Don Giovanni - Don Giovanni: Don Giovanni: see Don Juan.
- The Metropolitan Opera: Don Giovanni LIVE - Starring Mariusz Kwiecien, Marina Rebeka, Barbara Frittoli, Ramón Vargas, Luca Pisaroni
- The Metropolitan Opera: Don Giovanni Encore - Starring Mariusz Kwiecien, Marina Rebeka, Barbara Frittoli, Ramón Vargas, Luca Pisaroni