Israeli soldier, was kidnapped in late June by Palestinian militants. Israeli troops entered the Gaza Strip, less than a year after withdrawing from the territory, to secure his release. The showdown and the attendant violence threatened to spin out of control. Palestinian militants demanded that all jailed Palestinian women and children under 18 be released in return for information about Shalit.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Gilad Shalit from Infoplease:
- This Day in History: October 18 - October 18 Yesterday Tomorrow 1685 Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes. 1767 The boundary between ...
- Year in Review, 2011 - An overview of political turmoil in the Middle East that contributed to failed negotiations for a peace agreement between Isreal and the Palestininians in 2011.|Hope for Peace Fades for Israelis and Palestinians
- October 2011 Current Events: World News - Current events from around the world for the month of october 2011, including Bahrain, Egypt, Libya, and Iran.
- Recent History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - Brief history of the israeli palestinian conflict, with timeline, glossary of terms, biographies and more
- Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Timeline Since 2000 - Brief history of the israeli palestinian conflict, with timeline, glossary of terms, biographies and more