Tito PuenteAge: 77
Grammy Award–winning mambo king and larger-than-life percussionist who is widely considered the founding father of Latin jazz. He made 119 albums in his six-decade career, which began in the 1950s, when the mamba was first introduced to the U.S. His recordings include The King of the Mambo and Mambo Birdland, for which he won his fifth Grammy in Feb. Died: New York City, June 1, 2000
More on Tito Puente from Infoplease:
- Tito Puente - Puente, Tito Puente, Tito (Ernesto Antonio Puente, Jr.), 1923–2000, American musician, b. New ...
- From Son to Salsa - Starring Rubén Blades, Willie Colon, Celia Cruz, Isaac Delgado, Tito Puente
- Celia Cruz - Cruz, Celia Cruz, Celia, 1929–2003, Cuban-American singer, b. Havana. The “Queen of ...
- 54th Street (Calle 54) - Starring Tito Puente, Paquito D'Rivera, Chucho Valdes, Bebo Valdes, Gato Barbieri
- salsa - salsa salsa , American popular music developed largely in New York City during the 1970s; its name ...