Taiwanese lawyer and opposition politician, was elected president of Taiwan in March, with 39% of the vote. Chen, leader of the Democratic Progressive Party, had long supported independence from mainland China, but he softened his stance days before the election, saying that independence isn't necessary because Taiwan is already sovereign. His election ended the Nationalists' grip on power that began in 1949.
More on Chen Shui-bian from Infoplease:
- Taiwan Timeline - Key events in Taiwanese history from World War II to the present
- Lebanon Timeline - Timeline of Key Events in Lebanon by David Johnson and Beth Rowen 1920 1940s 1960s 1970s 1980s ...
- Chen Shui-bian - Biography of Chen Shui-bian, The former president of Taiwan sentenced to life in prison
- Chen Shui-bian - Chen Shui-bian Chen Shui-bian , 1951–, Taiwanese political leader, president of Taiwan ...
- March 2000 - March 2000 World Britain Frees Gen. Augusto Pinochet (March 2): Drops extradition charges because ...