Is It a Cold or the Flu?
| fever||rare||characteristic, high (102°–104° F); lasts 3–4 days|
| general aches, pains||slight||usual; often severe|
| fatigue, weakness||quite mild||can last up to 2–3 weeks|
| extreme exhaustion||never||early and prominent|
| stuffy nose, sore throat||common||sometimes|
|Complications||sinus congestion or earache||bronchitis, pneumonia; can be life-threatening|
|Prevention||none||annual vaccination; antiviral medicines—see your doctor|
|Treatment||only temporary relief of symptoms||antiviral medicines—see your doctor|
Source: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Is It a Cold or the Flu from Infoplease:
- echinacea - echinacea echinacea , popular herbal remedy, or botanical, believed to benefit the immune system. ...
- short: meaning and definitions - short: Definition and Pronunciation
- Health & Nutrition - Personal Health, Nutrition, Disease and Mortality, Drugs and Alcohol
- Plants That Heal - Plants That Heal For thousands of years, people from all corners of the globe have used herbs and ...
- DISEASE - When a person has a disease, a part of that person’s body fails to function properly. Diseases produce different patterns of symptoms: knowing these h