19, and Serena Williams, 18, professional tennis players, made history when they met in the finals of Florida's Lipton Championships in March, the first time in 115 years that sisters faced off in the finals and the first such pairing of African Americans. Serena went on to win the U.S. Open in September, beating rival Martina Hingis.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Venus Williams from Infoplease:
- Venus Williams - Biography of Venus Williams, Sister of Serena Williams and five-time winner of Wimbledon
- Venus Williams - Williams, Venus Williams, Venus (Venus Ebone Starr Williams), 1980–, b. Lynwood, Calif., and ...
- Venus Williams - Venus Williams Born: June 17, 1980 Tennis won career doubles grand slam with sister Serena; winner ...
- Serena and Venus Williams, - Serena and Venus Williams, power-house professional tennis players, continued to dominate the ...
- Wimbledon Tennis Champions, 2009 - Find the men's and women's Wimbledon champions, including singles and doubles scores.