Gertrude B. ElionAge: 81
pioneer in drug research who shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1988. She developed drugs for many conditions, including leukemia, malaria, and AIDS. Died: Chapel Hill, N.C., February 21, 1999
More on Gertrude B Elion from Infoplease:
- Gertrude Belle Elion - Gertrude Belle Elion Born: 1918 Birthplace: New York City 6-Mercaptopurine—Elion synthesized ...
- Gertrude Belle Elion - Elion, Gertrude Belle Elion, Gertrude Belle , 1918–99, American pharmacologist, b. New York ...
- George Herbert Hitchings - Hitchings, George Herbert Hitchings, George Herbert, 1905–98, American pharmacologist, b. ...
- January 23 Birthdays: Edouard Manet - January 23 birthdays: Edouard Manet, Gertrude B. Elion, Princess Caroline of Monaco, Tiffani Thiessen, Ernie Kovacs, Django Reinhardt, Jeanne Moreau, Potter Stewart, Camilla Collett, Derek Walcott, Stendhal, Sergei Eisenstein
- Top News Stories from 1988 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1988. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data