Arthur L. SchawlowBorn: 1921
Birthplace: Mount Vernon, N.Y
Laser—Co-inventor of the laser. Schawlow worked with Charles H. Townes who was inducted into the Inventors Hall of Fame in 1976. Today the laser is prevalent in many areas, including the medical, defense, and communications fields. Schawlow is also a 1981 recipient of the Nobel Prize in physics for his work in laser spectroscopy. (1996)Died: 1999
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Arthur L Schawlow from Infoplease:
- Arthur Leonard Schawlow - Schawlow, Arthur Leonard Schawlow, Arthur Leonard , 1921–99, American physicist, b. Mount ...
- Top News Stories from 1981 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1981. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data
- May 5 Birthdays: Karl Marx - May 5 birthdays: Karl Marx, Adele, Tammy Wynette, Arthur L Schawlow, Tyrone Power, Soren Kierkegaard , Nellie Bly
- Nobel Prize for Physics - Below find every winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics, from 1901 through this year's winners
- A Guide to Inventions and Discoveries: From Adrenaline to the Zipper - A Guide to Inventions and Discoveries From Adrenaline to the Zipper From Adrenaline to the Zipper ...