Luis Walter AlvarezBorn: 1911
Birthplace: San Francisco, Calif.
Radio distance and direction indicator—Alvarez was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1968. He helped design a ground-controlled radar system for aircraft landings and with his son developed the meteorite theory of dinosaur extinction. (1978)Died: 1988
More on Luis Walter Alvarez from Infoplease:
- Alvarez: meaning and definitions - Alvarez: Definition and Pronunciation
- Luis Walter Alvarez - Alvarez, Luis Walter Alvarez, Luis Walter, 1911–88, American physicist, b. San Francisco, ...
- Hispanic American Scientists - Notable Hispanic American scientists
- Hispanic American Biographies, A-Z - Notable Hispanic American athletes, actors, and more.
- Top News Stories from 1968 - News stories covering international, U.S., science, financial, entertainment & sports events from 1968. Includes basic U.S., world & economic statistics and links to detailed statistical data