Demographic and Health Characteristics of Births
The following table shows the number of births, prenatal care, number of preterm infants, and the number of low birthweight infants, according to the race of the mother in 2004.
1. Hispanic origin may be of any race.
2. Includes births to Aleuts and Eskimos.
3. Excludes data for Pa. and Wash.
4. Excludes data for Calif.
5. Percent of births less than 37 completed weeks of gestation.
6. Low birthweight is birthweight of less than 2,500 grams (5 lb 8 oz). Very low birthweight is birthweight of less than 1,500 grams (3 lb 4 oz).
Source: National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports, vol. 54, no. 8, Dec. 29, 2005. Web: www.cdc.gov/nchs .
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.