James Earl RayAge: 70
convicted killer of Martin Luther King Jr. He confessed to the 1968 assassination but recanted after his sentencing. Lacking evidence to back up his government conspiracy theory, Ray remained in prison, where he was serving a 99–year term. Died: April 23, 1998.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on James Earl Ray from Infoplease:
- James Earl Ray - Biography of James Earl Ray, The man who killed Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.: Assassination Conspiracy Theories - King Assassination Conspiracy Theories A variety of outlandish conspiracy theories abound, but the ...
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Biography - Martin Luther King, Jr., Biography
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Facts, Timeline, History, Activities, Bio - Martin Luther King Jr day is celebrated on the third Monday in January. Read a biography of the civil rights hero, find a timeline about him, read his speeches and find facts and stats about the civil rights movement and affirmative action
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Holiday - Who originated the idea of a national holiday in honor of MLK?