Yokosuka (yōkōˈsŏkä) [key], city (1990 pop. 433,358), Kanagawa prefecture, E central Honshu, Japan. It has an important naval base (founded 1868) and shipyards. It is a major fishing and trade port. Yokosuka is also known for the tomb of William Adams, first Englishman to visit Japan.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Yokosuka from Infoplease:
- Yokosuka: meaning and definitions - Yokosuka: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/yokosuka - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Kanagawa - Kanagawa Kanagawa , prefecture (1990 pop. 7,980,421), E central Honshu, Japan. Yokohama is the ...
- Will Adams - Adams, Will Adams, Will (William Adams), 1564?–1620, first Englishman to visit Japan. As ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Y, y YA yabber yabby Yablonovyy Range yacht yacht chair yacht club yachting ...