Yamagata, city (1990 pop. 249,487), capital of Yamagata prefecture, N Honshu, Japan. The city produces consumer goods, computer equipment, and cast metal and is the site of Yamagata Univ. Yamagata prefecture (1990 pop. 1,255,556), 3,607 sq mi (9,342 sq km), yields high quality rice. Lumber, fish, electrical machinery, paper, and silk are produced, and deposits of petroleum, zinc, and natural gas are exploited. It contains Bandai-Asahi National Park.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Yamagata from Infoplease:
- Yamagata: meaning and definitions - Yamagata: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aritomo Yamagata - Yamagata, Aritomo Yamagata, Aritomo , 1838–1922, Japanese soldier and statesman, chief ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/yamagata - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tsuruoka - Tsuruoka Tsuruoka , city (1990 pop. 99,889), Yamagata prefecture, NE Honshu, Japan. An agricultural ...
- Gate of Hell (Jigokumon) - Starring Kazuo Hasegawa, Machiko Kyô, Isao Yamagata, Yataro Kurokawa, Kôtarô Bandô